Friday, July 25, 2014

Interfaith Weddings

As someone who at one time felt ambivalent about  officiating at interfaith weddings I now feel blessed when called upon to do so.  

Whether the non-Jewish partner is devoted to a different religious path or not, what matters most to me is how open and respectful you are of one another. Have you fully considered how you will proceed as a couple and a family of mixed religions? To what extend is their family supportive?

My main "job" is to express the beauty and sanctity of a Jewish wedding. At the same time, your future lives together is important to me and I may request that you make commitments to live a Jewish life. There are so many ways to express those commitments (reading books, participating in social justice, joining a Jewish community, raising children who are knowledgeable and connected to their Jewish roots, etc) and we will explore this as part of our work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment